2008-06-06

Does the HF100 need an IR blocking filter?


Infrared blocking filter from Martin Koch on Vimeo.

As you can see above the HF100 records infrared light.

Therefore I bought the Heliopan Digital UV/IR blocking filter (Nr. 8025). It blocks invisible light below and above the visible light range. Visible light goes from violet at 400nm to red at 700nm.

This filter brings - according to the Heliopan website - better color seperation and rendition and reduced color channel noise. They say "it's absolute neccessary at artificial light".

I compared some shots with and without this filter and didn't see any difference. I think you can save your money and buy a normal UV filter instead. If I discover an advantage by using an IR blocking filter on the HF100 I'll let you know.

No comments: